Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Finished Soy Silk Caplette


(pro pic to come, promise).

This is really all about texture. I must admit I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I started this project. I had a sketch of a capelette that I wanted to make and I knew I wanted it to have lots of texture but wasn't exactly sure what that meant. I also wanted to make a woven clothing item that wasn't so, uhm stiff...I guess that's what comes to mind when I think of woven clothes. So I read about woven warp shibori and upon consultation with my instructor decided that this technique would be best for the look I wanted.

I ended up with something delicate and feminine looking with a vintage feel. I am pleased. This is really meant for special occasion wearing only. It feels luxurious and makes the wearer feel special. Now, will I make more? Uhmm...this was really a challenging project. Right from the dressing of the loom to the actual finishing so...maybe I would make more but it would definitely have to be a special order item. I would like to see this in another colour so I may make another one using a different material (say actual silk) and dye it. For now, this creamy one will do and will be at the student sale (this Thursday). I'm thinking it actually might be great for a bride to be.
Anyway below is a little play by play of the actual making of the capelette.








Phew... so relieved that's all finished. My next few projects I'll be working with the concept of light and dark, good and evil, black and white...the yin and yang of sorts.

xo

1 comment: